Forum OpenACS Q&A: Running 'em side-by-side

Collapse
7: Running 'em side-by-side (response to 1)
Posted by Andrei Popov on

If you do e search on this forum (as well as on design, I think) you will see that Intranet seems to be one of the most-wanted things that were left out in the porting process (it is also one of the bigger modules, I believe). You will also see that there were a number of claims made about porting it (ranging between "yeah, I played around with it, maybe I can try and port" and "we are very interested in it, we will port it"). Nothing definite has been committed yet anywhere.

Another option (refered to as dotWRK sometimes) mentioned was to use part of dotLRN functionality and build up new Intranet using that. Still just a concept (and I cannot comment any further on it as I had not had a chance to play with dotLRN).

Trying to run 3.x and 4.x side-by-side would, probably, be quite tricky, even on db level. I have not checked, but am pretty sure that quite a few table names will clash, e.g. users, but won't contain the same data. It could be possible to do something like this:

• run AOLServer for 3.x and 4.x on different ports
  • have 2 different databases oac3 and oac4 on the back-end
  • use 4.x as the main server, automatically register each user that was created in 4.x instance on 3.x instance (will need to create extra db pool on 4.x instance for that, yet remove it from available pools so that NSD does not pick it up automatically)
  • if you want intranet -- also make registration of these new users as "intranet" members
  • redirect requests for 3.x services to 3.x instance

Not quite a compatibility package, but could allow to run both instances side-by-side. However, future migration may be tricky -- moving all those projects, calendars, comments and forums from 3.x instance would be paaaaaaaainful...