Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Why is ad_parameter deprecated?

Collapse
Posted by Stephen . on
No official confirmation, what are you talking about Roberto?  Quite clearly, in the thread which you yourself started when you asked "should I put my procs under namespaces or not?" Don confirmed Yon's yes answer, and they're not the only ones.  If that's not a (bunch of) official statements, then what is?

In a thread a couple of days ago someone asked why some people use tabs to indent and some people use spaces.  Someone else joked that they were not going to get into that religious war.  There is of course a correct answer: you put aside your personal preferences and do whatever everyone else is doing, you follow the project standard.

AOLserver has a coding standard, the developers wisely decided to lift it from the Tcl code they were using rather than invent something new.  Postgres has a coding standard, they've even written their own tool which reformats the code for them to enforce it.  The Linux kernel has a coding standard, etc.  In other words, it's standard industry practice to follow a single coding style per project, for the very good reason that it increases developer productivity.

Now the toolkit has one more coding style, and is more inconsistent.  To regain consistency the rest of the API must be renamed; afteral what's so special about permissions and parameters?  Or, we've just decided that consistency doesn't matter.  Never mind that no one was asked, no one was told, the documentation has not been changed, the existing code has not been changed, there was no technical justification for namespaces, AOLserver has problems with namespaces...

I think my frustrations have been more than justified, Roberto.