Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to Request for Comment: dotLRN Technology Governance

Stephen, I am making no threats at all. I've been in this community at least as long as you have, and while I can't contribute code, I have contributed everything that I can, including my perspective.

What I'm saying, as a long-standing, committed member of this community who knows the audience you are now trying to sell to for the first time intimately well, is that you'll never succeed this way. *We'll* never succeed this way. I'm not saying I won't sell this to my clients. I'm saying I can't because they won't buy it.

This is not just about Open Source. It's about developing an application for an audience to which the developers do not belong. I'm saying that if you go this route you will waste considerable precious volunteer effort, not to mention the money of the investing stakeholders, and not attract the other buyers that will make this worthwhile.

This is not a hobby. It is not a club. People are building this app so that other people will use it. So that other people will pay for their services and expertise. If you want that to happen, then you'd better look again at your governance structure, because the OF plan will turn them away. Not me. Them.