Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to Request for Comment: dotLRN Technology Governance

This thread was so long I had to open a window and write this while reading. I still haven't finished so I hope this isn't a rehash or a misunderstanding of some fundemental ascpect.

Comittees - I understand the desire for a committee, that said I think for dotLRN to grow no committee should be formed. Of course I don't have any say in this as MIT is funding this, but committees are great for killing projects. Talk, talk, talk and little action is the result of more than 2 people discussing technology.

People mention apache as a successful governance model, I disagree. Apache 2.0? Apache has a momentum that even a committee can't kill, it also has money. I understand academics desires for committees and meetings, but these are slow, bungling, politicized places where the best seldom wins.

I also know of two extremely large (top 6) school districts planning on implementing dotLRN, with or without a committee. Therefore I completely disagree with those saying that without a committee dotLRN will die. On the contrary I think control by the principals is the main point of any committee, despite best intentions at the outset.