Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to Request for Comment: dotLRN Technology Governance

Right now, there's a lot of code in the .LRN repository that I hope belongs to OpenACS, such as the portals, the portal wrappers around all the applications (forums, file-storage, etc.), the whole group/community framework, etc. All of that is, from my perspective, so fundamental to a collaboration software toolkit, which is what I view OpenACS as being, that it belongs there.
For the record, Ben and I argued strenously about new-portals. For three solid days. Where we've left it is that Ben has agreed it's OK for new-portals to go into the standard OpenACS distribution. That was not his first choice.

Frankly after our last discussion I've been avoiding the issue of the portlet wrappers - those that aren't intimately tied into dotLRN of course (standard package portlet wrappers).

However I did write up a short note on the subject last Sunday. I'm going to post it in a new thread. I wrote this before Ben and I reached agreement on moving new-portal into the standard OpenACS release. This discussion will be public, not private.

I'll post that in a minute in another thread, in this forum. Feel free to comment there.

One more thing. Anyone who thinks that the dotLRN Consortium will dictate to the OpenACS project and in some sense "steal it from us" must not know me, because if you did you'd realize that this would only happen over my dead body.