Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to Request for Comment: dotLRN Technology Governance

Don,

I honestly don't care what direction the governance or lack of it takes. It is fairly obvious that MIT can do whatever they want and even Ben's proposal is meaningless if MIT decides they don't like it, rendering this all moot.

As long as it is gpl anyone can use it and I am ok with it. If I think something sucks I can add/change/not use it.

I think what scares many people in this community is the fact that dotLRN is seeming to eclipse OpenACS and when the "Technical Committee" decides to change OpenACS to make something THEY want it will be very easy to do whatever the hell they want to do.

Will this happen? I don't know, I am just throwing out ideas, and also, most of the proposed changes are needed so I am not against any changes as things are now done.

What does happen though to OpenACS when this big (in name), funded committee goes head to head with the small fragmented user/developer base over a proposed change to the core that may break all of our sites? Who has the final say? What if the OpenACS community decideds they don't want it and dotLRN says fine, the fork begins. These issues need to be addressed somewhere.