Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to Request for Comment: dotLRN Technology Governance

Hi Michael, though I like the idea, I'm not sure I would like to see my baby taken away from me by some governing community for whatever reasons they might have.

I have seen to many organizational bodies, who execute their given powers on personal taste but on hard facts and logical decisions.

So, if I would be a gatekeeper of my module (isn't that the case anyway?), I'd not want someone else to tell me to piss off. If someone thinks that I am not doing a proper job, he could take my code, modify it, ask the TAB to adopt / approve it and let the market decide (or have the TAB give a recommendation or even take my code out of the tree, but not reinstate someone else to govern my piece of art).

So much for the developer in me 😊. From a business perspektive I think having a central controlling entity (top down, with button up elections [informal as it is now, or formal]) is better, especially as they can interact easier with the EB and talk about the stakeholders NEEDS than every developer seperatly. But those needs still can only be a guideance unless someone is paid for doing this work.

Looking forward to see another 30 postings when I wake up again. Gosh,  feels like /. 😊.