Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to New OpenACS website - Please test!

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
The mozilla 1.0 bug reported by Tilmann above (login box overlapping with "main" text occurs with NN6.2 also, on Windows.  It's on the edge of overlapping (right on the margin of the text) with full-screen 800x600, and actually overlapped at anything smaller.

I disagree with the suggestion that it isn't all that important since most users won't see it.  NEW visitors to the site have not yet registered, and they're MOST likely to be turned off by an ugly site design.  If we can't fix it easily, how about replacing it with a "register now!" button, similar to the "Unleash OpenACS" graphic?

One other issue with the first page:  The blurb about "why not mysql" is great, except it stops in mid-word.  Truncation at a word would be nice, as would a [more] or [read more] link at the end. **  I found myself wondering why it cut out in the middle, and how I could read some more about it.  Only THEN did I realize the link was up at the very top of the article, which I had to scroll to reach in a small browser window.

** alternately, cutting this blurb down to one or two sentences would also be reasonable.  The blurb is maybe a little bit rant-like for the front page anyway.  Let's make our first-time visitors click at least once before they discover we've got strong opionions, maybe?