Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to ACS-JAVA + PostgreSQL

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
I don't want to get much attention on this.  That is why try to minimize the comparison of CCM and OACS publicly.

On the data model side of CMS both CCM and OACS is very similar if was not for CCM using cms_foo for its CR.  Some of the tables have been further broken down.  Like binary content and text content resides in different tables now.  As for the UI OACS needs some polishing up.  But then I don't think if we polish the UI is something that will work.

For me CMS is such a big problem space that there is no single ubber UI to satisfy.  So I think in 4.7 we break OACS CMS apart into digestable parts.  Make it more developer friendly, I doubt putting a ton on effort to the UI will move it forward.  RH is still continuing on this path using a single UI.  What OACS just needs to do is to come up with a UI that just demo's the features of CR/CMS.  And if those parts are smaller new developers can understand it and develop or extend it.  I can't even understand CR or CMS fully but now I think we really need to study the hidden treasure.  ETP was great but I just realized it redone a lot of things already present with the core.  But ETP really showed me the way on how CR works.