Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: AOLserver 4.5

Collapse
3: Re: AOLserver 4.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
edit include/ns.mak and set the path to the tclsh binary (usually /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.4).

Somehow AOLserver is too dumb to find this.

Good luck in trying with the rest, I failed with tdom (package require not working), same for xotcl. Maybe this is related, though I don't know.

Collapse
4: Re: Re: AOLserver 4.5 (response to 3)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
i just made an installation of aolserver 4.5 with dotlrn on Mac OS X. there was no need to edit include/ns.mak. Note, that the README of aolserver 4.5 recommends to configure with

/usr/local/aolserver/bin/tclsh84 ./nsconfig.tcl

where the tclsh is already from a "private" tclsh in the aolserver directory (i called the installation /usr/local/aolserver4.5/). After nsconfig.tcl, it picked the right directory without problems. aolserver seems clever enough.

i did not have any problems with tdom or xotcl, both worked without any problems out of the box. I did have some problems with the other modules like postgres, nscache etc. in two respects: firstly, the meaning of the variable INST seems to have changed. in earlier times, INST denoted the installation directory, now INST means the installation program. This is only noted, when the modules are built outside of the aolserver tree (i have three installations of aolserver on my notbook, 4.0.10, naviserver and 4.5.0). Secondly, there were a couple of problems builing the static libaries (.a) on mac os x (they are not needed anyhow) and with linking nspostgres (added -lnsdb -L/usr/local/pg807/lib/ -lpq) by hand.

otherwise, everything seems to be fine in my configuration based on tcl8.4.13, Mac OS X 10.4.7.

Collapse
5: Re: Res: Re: AOLserver 4.5 (response to 3)
Posted by Jose Agustin Lopez Bueno on
I am too having problems with xotcl.

Any pointer for aolserver 4.5 and xotcl?

Collapse
what problem do you have?
Collapse
7: Re: Re: AOLserver 4.5 (response to 3)
a general remark on package require failing (e.g. tdom. XOTcl): take care that you are compiling with the same tcl version and you install into a place, where AOLserver can pick it up. Here is what i use in my build script:

NS=/usr/local/aolserver-4.5
TCL=/usr/local/src/tcl8.4.13/unix

cd tDOM-0.8.0/unix ../configure --enable-threads --enable-symbols \ --prefix=$NS --exec-prefix=$NS --with-tcl=$TCL make make install cd ../..

cd xotcl-1.4.0 ./configure --enable-threads --enable-symbols \ --prefix=$NS --exec-prefix=$NS --with-tcl=$TCL make make install-aol cd ..