Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OACS 6 and beyond

Collapse
10: Re: OACS 6 and beyond (response to 1)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Yes, it does come down to resources.

It's not a "good or bad" decision at all.

The platform is driven forward by either volunteers or organizations interested in using OpenACS for their needs.

And it looks like the core contributors are saying "hey, I don't really have a use for the Oracle side, I'm going to concentrate my time in energy into PostGres which will benefit me directly"...

Now, what can happen next? Should individuals or organizations want and value the Oracle part, they figure out a way to make that to happen because they it's for their own benefit.

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
I have been observing OACS from a far lately. I think dropping Oracle is a step back, however the benefits outweigh it. It will be easier to support a single db, given that OACS data model is not trivial. Its one of the few web frameworks that actually use the db features. Also on a technical standpoint, there is nothing in Oracle that can't be done in postgresql in the web development problem space.

Dropping Oracle support will hopefully be done in a good manner to bring in the community going forward. Hopefully we avoid removing any community member and move them together with OACS 6 and beyond. I guess its also a community issue as well as a technical issue, so I hope the community aspect will get equal attention if not greater in dropping the support of Oracle.

I think a branch or tag to which OACS db changes will not synch with Oracle and PostgreSQL is needed. A wiki page explaining the rational and more importantly how to upgrade from Oracle to PostgreSQL, people/organizations who have done the port, etc.. Maybe a section or cvs module that has the tools contributed by different people used in porting from Oracle to PostgreSQL.

Anyway just an opinion from a community member observing from a far.