Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OACS 6 and beyond

Collapse
15: Re: OACS 6 and beyond (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I think sarcasm in either direction does not help us. What I would suggest is that we focus on the following:

How can the OpenACS community accomodate the remaining Oracle users and help them to keep a viable Oracle port.

I think we still can do a couple of things:

- Create new Ticket types:
-- Test on Oracle needed
-- Port for Oracle needed

So whenever a commit to OpenACS core is done, where we changed the DB file and are unsure if this works on Oracle, we can ask for a test (if we provided a separate -oracle.xql file and upgrade file), or alternatively ask for someone to port it.

In this ticket we write what we changed and if possible the link to the CVS commit (as per xarg.net or fisheye).

This would allow the Oracle users of the core to maintain it easily and I concurr with Simon that chances are high that the amount of specific Oracle work will be fairly small.

As for the packages... This only makes sense if someone commits himself to work on said package for Oracle. Then you could ask people to file a report for this package whenever they do a release / commit.

Hope this brings us a little bit further. I don't think we want to "pull the carpet under your feet" (if you have a saying like that in English...), but we have to face the realities and the reality is that Don is on his own with testing and fixing OpenACS core Oracle commits and probably wants to spend his time more efficiently.