Forum OpenACS Development: What has actually been decided by the OCT regarding Oracle

All that's been decided is to discuss when we might end Oracle support at a future meeting.

We're talking about, oh, a year most likely before that would become true.

Plenty of time for those who care to talk us out of it. Show us a business model where people like me don't spend time for free making you money by supporting a database we don't use.

Also, be aware that I only test and bug fix for Oracle 9i, not 10 or 8. I have no need for Oracle and no desire to go through the various Linux upgrades I'd need to do to get a version of 10g working (that's still the latest, isn't it?)

Now thus far we do have some universities still active in .LRN using Oracle.

And University of Valencia (I think that's right, one of our universities in Spain) listened to me when I talked about Oracle support. They picked up most of the testing work for the upcoming .LRN 2.2 release, which was very helpful, and did a bunch of bug fixing, which is also helpful. They're also porting LORS to Oracle.

So I'd say the current situation is that there will be Oracle support for some time for anything University of Valencia supports.

But if they switch to PG (and they'd like to though it's not clear they'll be able to) that's about the end of people who are motivated by need to support Oracle.

that's UNED. Valencia uses PG.