Forum OpenACS Development: XoWiki 0.32

Collapse
16: XoWiki 0.32 (response to 1)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
XoWiki 0.32 is now in CVS head. XoWiki and the accompanying xotcl-core versions support now the storage_type file. One can now store files and images in xowiki folders and reference these in mediawiki like style. Therefore, images can be added now even without xinha and without the image tag. For example, the following text will include an image and a link to file within a wiki page
... here is a nice logo [[image:DotLrnLogo.gif|Logo of .LRN]] and the printed documentation [[file:documentation.pdf|The .LRN User Handbook]] ....
If theses object do not exist, xowiki renders the missing parts with the usual brackets, which can be used to click on to add (upload) the files.

This is implemented via a new class ::xowiki::File, a subclass of ::xowiki::Page. Therefore it reuses most of its properties. Files and images "know", where they are included (which pages reference them) and provide back-links to the including pages, they can be used in categories, they can be tagged (like in de.icio.us), they are contained in the rss or the weblog, they are included in the search (e.g. pictures are indexed via their title and description)

In later versions of xotcl, it should be possible to export and import files like other pages as well to transfer content easier between servers.

I was fighting quite long with a very strange problem, which is apparently Mac OS X specific: While the download with most of my test files (binary or not) worked without any problems, one .pdf file appeared truncated after download. While the original file size is 948130, the file had a size 143360 after download, although the content length in the http headers was correct. i certainly expected the bug to be somewhere in the newly implemented code of xowiki.

It took me a while to figure out, that the same happens with file-store as well. Interesting enough, the file download works correctly with bgdelivery. The problem turned out to be a configure problem, which sets HAVE_POLL to 1, where POLL does not seem to work together with aolserver (4.0.10). Compiling aolserver 4.0.10 with -DHAVE_POLL=0 solves the problem. Where available, xowiki will deliver files with bgdelivery.