Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Project Manager status?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
This is strange. I upgraded three sites and never ran into this problem.Furthermore, the latest checkout from HEAD does not show this table being referenced anymore. Maybe you forgot to upgrade logger to HEAD as well ? To be on the save side I updated the version number for PM and made the requirements clear on the latest logger.
Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
Ah, so that's a portlet from logger? I'm running logger 1.3 currently. Hmmm... now I have an interesting dilemma - I have a lot of people using my logger instances for time reporting and its function is fairly critical. Is logger on HEAD stable? Is the UI different? I need to be sure that update won't hose the group using logger, which is a lot larger than the group using PM.

Also, on the subject of PM depencies, I was chatting with Dave B the other day and he was surprised to learn that there was a version of dynamic types that had been released. From what I can gather, this was done without anyone's knowledge and now there's a bit of an issue as we have a mainstream app that's dependent on this old version and Lee (package author) has re-written the API. The code is not in CVS yet. They can check in the latest version on HEAD and leave the openacs-5-2-compat tag where it is but that would mean that anyone who would like to work with the latest version of dynamic types AND run PM would be in a pickle. Is it possible for us to all work together and get the new dtypes into CVS and update PM to use the new API?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Logger had a lot of dependencies with Project Manager which have been taken out, though you might want to test this first (we never used logger without PM). No UI changes have been made by us, though I am not sure how the old logger looked like.

Dynamic Types has been in CVS for ages now. If there exist other versions which have not been put back into CVS, this is a bad situation, especially if they change the API as one cannot assume that nobody is going to use code committed in a stable branch. Furthermore can't the old API coexist to guarantee backwards compatability ?

Last but not least, there were a couple of bugs in DT which we fixed. If Lee is using his own version,will this include our fixes and UI changes?