Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Project Manager status?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Malte said:

On a related note, has anyone working on dynamic types bothered to look closer at AMS lists concept and DynFields? My guess is that we have a couple of packages basicly doing exactly the same, albeit in different ways, and if we could couple the attribute extension (which stores the attributes either in meta tables like AMS or in the object_type table like DynamicTypes) with the lists concept of AMS (allowing you to have multiple different views on the attributes of an object, depending on context), we would probably end up with something like Dynfields, although with a different UI and different ways to store attributes.

I would propose we sit down together at one time and come up with a common solution which we can put into OpenACS core and gradually change all our applications to use this core package for extending and creating object types. Especially if you suggest we change the project manager to the new dynamic types API, I would prefer to change it to something that supports lists instead in the future (so I could have project attribute forms depending on the type of project, without the need to create a new project object_type for each of the types of project or the need to enter all the data again if I change the type of the project).

That's the plan Malte, great ideas. I think all your requests are something everyone will want.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Okay, I wrote up an initial document stating some of the aims, so we could collaborate from there on:

https://openacs.org/xowiki/dyntypefields

My goal for the first stage is that we get all the ideas that exist in our heads into this document. Once this is done, we can start branching off by actually defining the API and the needed changes to template::list and ad_form, along with an upgrade path from AMS and dynamic types (and, if Frank agrees to reuse it in project/open, maybe even dynfields).