Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to what is the privilege structure of dotLRN?

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Thanks for the clarifications Deirdre! So to summarize, being a guest means you cannot view private class information and being a limited user means you cannot drop/join classes. Deirdre - what exactly do we mean by private information here? You mention member lists, forums, surveys and bulk mails - is that it?

What confuses me is that you can be guest *and* be a professor or staff at the university (or is the employment then at a different university?). What is the difference between guest and external - they sound like the same thing? I guess if Guest is relabled "Can View Private Class Info" then the structure starts to make sense to me. However with that interpretation, and with the definition of private information above, how does it make sense to be a professor and have "Can View Private Class Information" set to false if this has the consequense that you can't see member lists of your own class?

Are there any plans to build a dotLRN interface to customize the permissions of variuos user types and of the Access and Guest fields?