Forum OpenACS Development: Response to AolServer 3.4 dies frequently

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, the driver's extremely stable with 3.3 ... if PIC were a problem it wouldn't run at all, so I can't see that being the problem.

As far as threadsafe I did check with the PG crew and the basic operations were thought to be threadsafe, at least that was the theory a couple of years ago.  There are a couple of places where it's known not to be but they're not things that the driver uses.

So I think we're OK in this regard, too.

When the Postmaster dies out from under it (not a backend, the driver spawns a new connection when a backend crashes) all bets are off, Lamar's absolutely right there.  Ironically I just had this happen on my personal birdnotes.net server two or three days ago.  The first time ever after three years.  The Postmaster was there but not responding, very strange.  You do have to restart Postmaster and restart AOLserver.

The same is true of the Oracle driver, as I learned when working on the Greenpeace project.  We learned how to reliably crash an Oracle server running on a Solaris box from a client using the OCI on a linux box (OpenACS in this case).  Just set a blob to "empty_blob" and Oracle drops like its been shot in the head.  Literally.  On the server.  Any user can kill it if they have the right to update a table with a blob in it.

Cool.

I think Jon's tracked his situation down to problems doing old-style index.vuh internal redirects even though he's not using performance mode.