Forum OpenACS Q&A: Thermopylae

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
5 months and 7 days ago, I've posted this message:
"I shall not keep you long,..."

I have written this message for three Purposes! "First of all to tell you that I am immensely fond of you all, and that eleventy-one years is too short a time to live among such excellent and admirrable hobbits...I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

"Secondly, to celebrate our upcoming beta..."

"Third and finally, I wish to make an ANNOUNCEMENT. I regret to announce that-though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you--this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD BYE!"

I had since the opportunity to rejoin the project as release manager but only for a while. You see, I was here for the fun of it but it is fun no more for me. I have said what I had to say in the "dotLRN governance rules" and the "Open 4.6 Items & Project Status" threads and once again I'm leaving. If ever the OpenACS project becomes fun again, I would gladly come back and start over and contribute again but for now I want to thank the friends I made in this community and they know who *they* are.

For some reason, I want to post one of my favorite poems:

Thermopylae

Honor to those who in their lives
have defined and guard their Thermopylae.
Never stirring from duty;
just and upright in all their deeds,
yet with pity and compassion too;
generous when they are rich, and when
they are poor, again a little generous,
again helping as much as they can;
always speaking the truth,
yet without hatred for those who lie.

And more honor is due to them
when they foresee (and many do foresee)
that Ephialtes will finally appear,
and that the Medes in the end will go through.

Constantine P. Cavafy (1903) 
Collapse
2: Response to Thermopylae (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Life is only as fun as you make it, Neophytos.  Joy comes from within.
Collapse
3: Response to Thermopylae (response to 1)
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
Neophytos, I've told you before; come on over to Infogettable.net and we'll have a laugh.

When I wrote that in the email I sent you I was only implying we'd have a fruitful discussion on the subject of logic - I didn't know then how appropriately I formulated the invitation.

Collapse
4: Response to Thermopylae (response to 1)
Posted by Tapiwa Sibanda on
Neophytos,

A couple of things immediately spring to mind.

1. The song "Fight for Your Right to Party" by the Beastie Boys

2. Not sure who said this first but ..... "He who would live, must fight. He who will not fight in this world where eternal struggle is the law of life, has not the right to exist"

In a word, running and absconding your duties whenever it takes your fancy, or you have differences of opinions (yes, even with the majority) will mean fewer and fewer people will want to play with you in the future. Do you remember the kid who always wanted to go back home now, with his monopoly/risk boardgame if he was the first to be bankrupted?

Collapse
5: Response to Thermopylae (response to 1)
even with the majority
Tapiwa, thanks for your advice but I really don't need this. What majority? -- most of the people posting on that thread have *direct* benefit from MIT Sloan. I did/do not expect them to post otherwise. What majority, again? Have you tried to talk with the people that haven't posted or those who had initially disagreed with the proposals?
Collapse
6: Response to Thermopylae (response to 1)
"He who would live, must fight. He who will not fight in this world where eternal struggle is the law of life, has not the right to exist"
I didn't say my last word, yet.
Collapse
7: Response to Thermopylae (response to 1)
Posted by David Kuczek on
Neophytos,

I can somehow understand your rage, but I am not sure if this is the right way to reach what you want, whatever you want...

Disclaimer: Understand these lines as a strategy, don't misinterpret the single word nor assume an anti-American conspiracy!!!

"You have to fight Americans with their own weapons: Kill your enemy with a smile" -- don't remember who said this

"A diplomat never rages, he takes notes" -- good old Churchill

Collapse
8: Response to Thermopylae (response to 1)
"A diplomat never rages, he takes notes" -- good old Churchill
David, thank you for your post. However, I don't feel rage -- I'm sad about all the things that happen both in public and backstage. Check the two cited threads and you'll realize who really rages.
Collapse
9: Response to Thermopylae (response to 1)
" if he was the first to be bankrupted"
This is not what is all about. Would you play with a kid that you knew s/he was "cheating"?