Forum OpenACS Development: Re: xotcl-core variable scope with ad_proc methods and filters

Adding a filter using ad_proc seems to break the scope of
variables. instvars are not available if a class has a
filter defined using ad_proc.

i am not convinced: By using

CollabPage filter fetch_latest_revision_if_no_live_revision
you define a filter on the class object. If you want to define a filter for the instances of the class (the pages), use instfilter instead (like proc + instproc).

I think the filters here make sense since I want to capture > the call to fetch_object without having to rewrite all the
code

I see no need for a filter here. Why not defining CollabPage proc fetch_object ?

in general, i think it performance-wise not a good idea to add at this level more trivial sql queries, but to add the "best revision" logic to the sql query in fetch (see cvs head).

Btw, talking about tons if small queries: we have currently high-season on our learn system (1200+ active users), a load we handled quite easily with our system in the past (response time less than 0.2 secs). This time, we have as well course assessments (currently for 1200 courses), but this brings as well our system to its knees (uncached permission checks take sometimes more than 5 secs). Assessment needs a rewrite for being scalable.