Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to dotLRN on .NET

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Therefore, as my consecutive question, will the dotLRN movement consider opening up the architecture to allow webservices in both directions and is this something already on the list of desired features of the stakeholders especially in the EB {as this would most likely get funding first}.
Well ... more importantly the OpenACS community seems to recognize the need for two-way services of this sort.

Look at the fact that we've already got an RSS package that lets you dump content to any other server that understands RSS, and look at the interest that's been expressed about SOAP (which by nature implies an interest in two-way behavior). Look at the interest shown already for IMAP support for any webmail type package we might want to have, and calendaring support (there's been a lot of interest even in that little hack I did that's in ACS 3.5).

So fundamentally I don't think there's any selling to do to our community here.

There's just a ton of work involved ...

Of course if I'm wrong I'm sure people will point it out, but over the last year or so there's been a *lot* of discussion about wanting to be able to integrate with XML-based exchange protocols like SOAP and RSS.