Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to Corporate LMS

Collapse
3: Response to Corporate LMS (response to 1)
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
I'll answer your direct questions first and then get to the underlying issue afterward. The short answer is that mod_AOLServer, which only runs on Apache 1.3, is not a suitable solution for a production environment. It has major performance problems. There has been a lot of talk about trying to make a version for Apache 2, and I know of at least one person who was talking privately about doing this on his own, but the basic problem is one of resources. We need good C hackers to do this, and it's probably too big to get done unfunded.

But the reason you've asked about portability seems to be motivated a marketing concern, and while enabling OpenACS to run on Apache might solve some of the concerns (although you still have to sell them on Tcl), it's also possible that we can do a better job of selling AOLServer. In particular, now that we have polished vertical apps like dotLRN, it's possible to package up the whole thing and sell it as a unified whole.

I don't think anybody has easy answers, but it's definitely a problem that folks in the community are actively considering.