Forum OpenACS Development: Spam - the problem, not the module

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
I've noticed in several places that the default settings for 4.5.0 are rather susceptible to exploitation by spammers. While the ideal settings for any particular module will vary heavily depending on the community using it, I'd like to see the defaults get a little stricter.

Here's a very short list of places I think we could improve. Please post your additions!

• Registration should require email confirmation by default. (Approval by an admin would work also.) Failure to do email confirmation means that someone could register a victim, sign them up for notifications on every forum post, and sit back and watch the screaming. Where will the complaints go? To the site administrator, or maybe to THEIR upstream provider.
  • Postcard needs an overhaul. At a minimum, it ought to use the from address of the registered user (whose email is presumably verified), not whatever address someone feels like typing in. Is this enough? I'm not sure. I could still register, verify my email, and then send junk spam postcards to a million emails. Sure, the from address would be valid (free hotmail?), but since that spam goes through the installations mail server, complaints about spam will go back to the site admin or their upstream provider. I don't have a total solution in mind, beyond not installing it, of course! Folks using it, do you have a solution, and have you had problems?
  • Bookmarks is exposing email addresses. I'm going to fix that one TODAY.
  • Posting to openacs.org (still running 3.2.x) provides a nice long list of email addresses when notifications are done. If 4.x is still doing this, I think it shouldn't.
What else?

Collapse
Posted by Vadim Makarov on
Posting to openacs.org (still running 3.2.x) provides a nice long list of email addresses when notifications are done. If 4.x is still doing this, I think it shouldn't.

No, it doesn't show to whom notifications are sent. I'm actually embarassed this feature has been removed! Very often when I'm posting to a thread, I'm answering somebody who is not the initial poster. In this case I want to see if he's notified of my answer, or I have to email him manually.

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
I do agree entirely though Cathy, the defaults *should* be more restrictive by default.

I bet thats a five minute job to fix too.. ;)