Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to nsjava staus

Collapse
74: Response to nsjava staus (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Heh... when you argue with me, Don, you take the position that Windows is a first-class platform to OACS. When you argue with John you say it's not. In the same post. Which is it, really?
There are two observations:
  1. People talk about wanting to support windows as a first-class platform. This desire seems real.
  2. Despite all the talk, no one has done the work of making windows a first-class platform. Talk is cheap ...

It's not really a contradiction to argue that we want it to be a first-class platform in the future while pointing out that at present no critical mass has formed around the idea. It's not the technology that's in the way, it's the fact that the vast majority of us here love Unix and are only interested in Windows as a way of widening acceptance of our platform. Will we reach critical mass if we don't have a significant number of community members who love Windows?

Michael ... as far as operating system support, we support Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, HP-UX, SGI, OS X (eventually with Oracle as well as PG) and using Jamie's work and either Oracle or the upcoming PG native Windows release, Win2K/NT.

All natively.

So we have all significant platforms covered, don't we?

I'll admit to a bias. I hate the notion of adding extra complexity, not to mention push a technically inferior platform to clients, to fix a shortcoming in marketing. Why not get better at marketing, instead?