Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to nsjava staus

Collapse
75: Response to nsjava staus (response to 1)
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
Don, my comment about supporting other operatings systems was as much a response to Jamie's comment (above) that AOLServer 4 has not been tested much on other platforms as it is about the Windows issue. I understand that, compared to the Windows problem, supporting other *nix platforms is a lot easier. But there's always going to be a resource question.

I agree completely with your emphasis on marketing better, BTW. It's not at all clear to me that AOLServer is *inevitably* going to fall behind. At the moment, though, we have two big obstacles in the way of a good future for the platform. The first is marketing. I agree that this may not be a huge issue. The second, though, is that fact that AOL is (understandably) focused on keeping the platform best for *them*, and their needs are somewhat different than those of the rest of the community. Now, if marketing goes well enough, then the second problem may turn out to be solvable too in one way or another. But until these obstacles are actually overcome, I think the community would be wise to actively investigate long-term alternatives, even if those alternatives are clearly technologically inferior...today.