Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to nsjava staus

Collapse
108: Response to nsjava staus (response to 1)
Posted by defunct defunct on
On the marketing point.... yes I agree that up until now perhaps AOLServer has not necessarily been good from a marketeers perspective... (although I don't know why I'm excepting it... it was AOL/TCL that brought us to this community in the first place!)

However, that only emphasises we need to do a better marketing job... and as Don points out *the* best way to do that is get the current OpenACS working well....

Beleive me... when it comes down to it, if I can developer faster, better and with more stability and give my customers what they want... well.... the windows/apache etc argument just sorta disappears!

Why does everyone in computing these days keep banging on about conversion and symmetry? Has anyone out there forgotten that these are 'web sites' were building? Given a user can't tell the difference from their perspective then why the over focus on platform????

Anyone who turns down a competitive bid simply because they 'like windows and have never heard of AOLServer' is a pillac anyway!  And I'll be jiggered if I want to spend any time making their life easier (sorry... personal rant)..

And... aren't we on the verge of the new web evolution? i.e. Web Services? Aren't we all supposed to be moving to a heterogeneous environment of cooperating services and common interfaces?

These platform/software/porting argument belong back in the early nineties......  Can't we settle for an OpenACS that does what its supposed to do, but which retains facilities for integrating other technologies on an 'as-needed' basis. (this is pretty much what we have now.