Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to nsjava staus

Collapse
111: Response to nsjava staus (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
    Cygwin != Unix
Cygwin sucks so bad that both the Apache and PostgreSQL folk felt compelled to write native Windows versions of their applications.
      Wine != Windows
And I've never gotten it to work well with anything I've needed unless I've had a Windows partition with the real Windows DLLs available (which defeats the purpose for those who wish to avoid buying a Windows license), and even then it couldn't handle IE. I bought VMWare so I could do what windows work I need to do on my Linux machine because Wine sucked so bad. I understand it's slowly getting better, though.
pseudo-nsd != AOLServer
This in and of itself doesn't prove a hack effort won't suck as bad as Cygwin or Wine but it doesn't prove it won't, either.
2)
Hey Red Hat, why are you supporting Cygwin if Linux is so great?
Hey Microsoft, why are you supporting Rotor if Windows .NET is so great?
Give me one percent of the resources of either of those companies and my objections disappear like magic.

On the other hand, give me one percent of the resources of either of those companies and I can get you a solid AOLserver running under Windows with good java integration to a wide variety of technologies, and have enough budget left over to properly market the thing.

Hey OpenACS, why are you supporting other web servers if AOLServer is so great?
We aren't, because thus far we haven't proven we have the resources to properly tackle the job at hand much less take on significant new work that has dubious technical merit. Though I'm flattered that you seem to think our humble project is in the same league as either of those companies.
Don - "Go for it"
3) OK.
Can't stop you from doing what you want to do, even if I wish you'd help us fix our core technology instead.