Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to nsjava status

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
I got plenty of AOL, it must suck. After explanations though they usually would listen.

I still think that while it is great that everyone wants OpenACS to take over the world the reality is it never will. It does something extremely well and most of the world doesn't care.

You have to pick your battles AND pick your clients. I would never try to convert a LAMP shop to OpenACS it is to much work for little return. If they come to me fine, I hate trying to convert people as it usually ends up in a huge waste of everyone's time. Apache is a general tool that has been hacked to do anything and everything. They don't do it great, but they do it OK and that is all that matters for the majority of people.

Besides, what percent of the LAMP folks have any budget to pay me? If they are using LAMP they don't have a scalable platform and most likely don't care because the 15 hits they get a day don't stress anything.

MS shops are a little easier to target only because the security is so bad even dumb CEO's don't want to deal with that. They are still a tough sell, just not as tough.

There are plenty of places AOLserver and OpenACS work well and those are the people that are running a community. Your bank doesn't (probably) care about community so they run java apps. Mom & Pop Ecommerce sites don't care about community they run LAMP.

Who does that leave? Governments, NPO's and some other enlightened companies.

The point of this rant; Lets focus on our core strength and something no other project has and that is a community based system. There are still plenty of bugs/UI/enhancements that need work.

That said, I think it is great that java is an option, I think that SOAP needs to be implemented. That is why AOLserver IS an application server (although I could also argue that so is Apache).