Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Notes package inline functions

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Hi Jun,

Yes I am new to OpenACS.  I am still trying to get my head around the object system.  I am currently working on a clickstream package for OpenACS 4.5.  I know about Richard Li's clickstream module, but I think that it is a bit dated now.  Firstly it was written for the aD architecture, and secondly it has no concept of objects.  I am starting to understand the concept of OACS objects, and I believe they could be used for easily customising or extending  a data warehouse through a web interface.  Well that is the intended outcome of my project.

Anyway back to the inline function... so using the function and then dropping it is just a way of notifying the acs object system about the Notes object type.  I am assuming dropping the function is a way of preventing it from being used again, so that multiple objects of type Notes are not registered with the acs objects system.

And what does the singleton flag mean in the Notes.info file?  Could someone please provide examples of when this property will be used.

Cheers,
Nick.