Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Newbee documentation

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks, I like the idea of using the FAQ section for this purpose, however, it would mean we need to create a group, activate the Faq module to that group, and facilitate members to the group to add answers to it. I am sure this approach will be more effective than having info stuck on the bboard. There's one drawback, it might need an editor that draws some kind of edits a final answer if there is such thing. This also hits another subject. The new OpenACS site seems to focus on OpenACS 4. I can undestand that, but, untill we have a fully operational 4 release, to replace 3.2.5 I feel we can't ignore the fact the majority of ACS users is, with the exeption of Greenpeace and dotLRN, most likely using older versions of the toolkit. It's not fancy stuff, there's little glory in it maybe, but from a newby point of view it at least offers a stable environment. So We might be wise add a section how to migrate from 3 to 4, and how can we use both systems running tandem untill we can forget about 3. I have seen a few answers in this area, but it would be interesting to hear about the issues others run into.

It's not just a technological issue, it's also marketing. I see some great improvements in 4 I would like to offer my clients, but am hesitant because of all the changes going on. The best of both worlds would be great, but is likely to confuse clients. The sooner we find an answer to this, the better. Cheers