Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Multiple domains on same server/ip

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Torben, sorry to have produced such a poorly documented piece of software. VAT is an AOLserver module, not an OACS module/package. The OACS subsite module redirects or serves pages from a subdirectory of the main site. I really haven't investigated how it works. The subsite module could be modified to work a little more like a virtual server, it it would serve pages from separate pageroot locations, the www directory.

I wrote an OACS module that was Host aware and used separate templates for each host, but used the same tcl pages. Actually I guess I sym linked in the tcl pages I wanted to reuse.

The main problem is that the data model needs to be Host aware also, and it isn't.

Now I have got two OACS3.x sites to work on one database, using different pageroots. But in OACS3.x, everything is under www, so this was easier. Also, the sites were owned by the same company, and were similar in purpose: ecommerce.

My VAT module makes it easy to do single AOLserver virtual hosting, all you need to do is add two lines to the configuration file, and add the site files. Each virtual host can access different, or the same database pools. The original purpose of VAT was to allow a db backed web service appear static. See http://saleonall.com/ as an example. Back when AltaVista allowed unlimited submission of web pages to their search engine, I had over 150k pages indexed there.