Forum OpenACS Q&A: CVS log messages

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Hi all,

In the interest of readability and for future reference (especially now that commit messages are accessible to anyone), may I suggest that those committing changes to the CVS tree don't just submit long huge lines where one just lists "did this. and that. fixed that also. oh and that too".

Instead I suggest that items fixed/improved/added be separated by simple lines, each line mentioning one change and being preceeded by a dash.

Example:

- Fixed this (thanks to Joe Doe path #2398)
- Added support for feature foobar
- Added a missing shebang.
Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I assume you're refering to my recent commit messages, as they had exactly the bad character you describe. It would be nice to have a mini do-this, dont-do-that on log messages, because they ususally are never looked at until they need to be, and then usually by someone else. From my end I was using:

cvs commit -m "long log message" files

I guess omitting the -m would pop up vi so that I could format something more useful?

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Yes, cvs commit without the -m will pop up an editor window, whatever you have specified in either your EDITOR or VISUAL environment variables, I forget which (probably EDITOR). So in your .profile or .bashrc you probably want something like:
EDITOR="xemacs -nw"
VISUAL=$EDITOR
export VISUAL EDITOR
:)