Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Too lazy to code

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Tom,

I've been trying out your query-writer package a little, but not long enough to understand it in detail. It looks promising, though.

The question I'm asking myself at this point is whether or not it is a tool I want to build my future packages with. Packages that I want to have a chance to submit as "regular" OpenACS packages.

The way I understand it, a package that has been developed by using the query-writer will depend on the query-writer being installed (and bootstrapped with qw-dumps from my package) on any system that wants to run the new package. Is that correct?

If so, qw-made packages won't run on a basic install of OpenACS as of today. In that case I reckon developers will be reluctant to write packages using qw until/unless it is added as a core OpenACS package.

Hmm. I guess Oracle support will be required for this to happen...

Nonetheless, I think the qw comes in handy even when it's just used as a generator of create/drop scripts for ones objects - it's a good way to enforce consistency among the .sql files (and developers) IMO.

I take it you have developed packages of your own (merchant-system?) with the qw. Do you have plans to release such a package so that others may study how it uses the qw? Also, have you noticed any major negative side effects performance or otherwise?

BTW, I've hacked "www/admin/objects/pg-create.tcl" so that it outputs the table creation and I fixed the indentations (using forums as model) and a few other things. I can email you the whole file or a patch if you want, after I've tested it a bit further.

Cheers,