Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to continuation of dotLRN Governance

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
I very much hope that OpenForce will provide documentation. With all due respect for this company's contributions to date, I think Arjun was a bit hasty when he declared victory (see "the future won" comment above). As I'm sure we all recognize, good design is a necessary but not sufficient condition for success.

This thread suggests that documentation is in-progress, but the current CVS snapshot does not contain any files ending in htm, html or xml. The best possible outcome would be for Ben and co. to complete this work and deliver to the community something they can be really proud of. If pride of authorship is not sufficient motivation, the consortium members should seriously consider whether a little cash might help the effort along. We all gotta eat.

A lesser but still positive outcome would be to provide copies of their docs to date---even if incomplete---so that the community can finish the job. These could be made available through the public CVS repository or even posted to /new-file-storage. I believe at one time a "dotlrndoc" package existed, but it seems to be gone. As a last resort, I can probably dig up a snapshot of these docs to provide a starting point.

Finally, as to the short-term plan. The push to release will henceforth be driven by Sloan in coordination with the TAB and community. We will be undertaking the technology transfer (CVS, installation docs etc) starting next week and will hopefully have a publishable schedule by late next week. Harass us (well, me anyway) if things don't get more concrete in the next couple of weeks.