Forum OpenACS Q&A: Breaking lines in Tcl files

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
Not sure why this is happening, but my AOLServer just borks at every broken Tcl line, i.e. it rejects every single blah-blah yada-yada occurence... Anyone seen anything like this?
Collapse
Posted by carl garland on
Yes and my car Bleps every time I Xonk.  Can someone tell me what is going on ;) Seriously though ... that is the most obfuscated error report I think I have ever seen....Maybe some better details and someone can help.
Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
You might make sure that there is not any trailing crud
after the backslash (like maybe carriage return
if you edited it on a windows box).  On unix you can use "od -a"
to see what is really after the backslash...
Collapse
Oops, sorry -- but I swear that preview was showing what was required.

Real thing is like this, for example:

Request Error Server startup failed: Error during bootstrapping syntax error in expression "([empty_string_p $file_db_type] || \ [string e" ("if" test expression) while compiling "if {([empty_string_p $file_db_type] || \ [string equal $file_db_type $db_type]) && ([string equal $file_type tcl_procs] && ..." ("foreach" body line 6) while compiling "foreach file [lsort $files] { set file_db_type [apm_guess_db_type $package_key $file] set file_type [apm_guess_file_type $package_..." (compiling body of proc "apm_bootstrap_load_libraries", line 17) invoked from within "apm_bootstrap_load_libraries -procs acs-tcl " I'll see if this really maybe a CRLF thing...
Collapse
ok, that was a CRLF
Collapse
Posted by David Siktberg on
I have experienced the same problem several times when trying to continue a tcl command onto additional lines by using the backslash character at the end of the line.  On those occasions, I double-checked that there was nothing following the backslash, tried terminating the line with Ctrl-J and newline in emacs, did some other tinkering, and then gave up and put everything on one very long line.  I wonder if there are some circumstances where the continuation convention will not work.