Forum OpenACS Q&A: SMS Broker - Aolserver or OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Folks,

I may have asked this before but don't recall getting a resolution.

We're still hosting the SMS Broker code at our site for the time
being, but really that isn't ideal.

The question is were does it properly belong?

To summarise, at the moment the sms broker is am aolserver module
(i.e. you don't need openacs to use it)... so the natural place would
be to put it in source forge but......

We're OpenACS'ers and we'd like to make it more OpenACS friendly i.e.
an APM package, with service contract, gsm::function style interface,
default admin screens, and a simple application like the Spam package
but including mobile notifications...

Of course its could be made available in both, but that gets messy,
and splitting the aol server bits from the openacs will also
discourage new users from installing...

So does anyone have an opinion or comment?

Don, how do you feel about getting the SMS broker into the core
distribution (not necessaily the core install)?

A bit like acs-mail-lite, acs-sms-lite?

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Primary goal is to make it easy to access to OpenACS users.  So my opinion is to have it here.

It would be nice IF you can still maintain it with the aol part being at aolserver.  Of course the module will say... "For a sample/working UI please go to openacs.org".  This is just nice to have.  Surely the ease of access for openacs users takes priority of having correctly place the code to the proper CVS.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Why not creating a semi standalone communication package, integrating Maltes Jabber/chat implementation, and the sms broker. I just found this tipic which seems a relatively userfriendly approach. I understand Maltes package is about release ready but lack of time is one of the issues that prevents a final release. Maybe the community can jump in eliminating these restrictions. Why not offer these kind of ACS aplications as a hosted services so they pay forthemselves and the folks running the show get the rewards. It may be contradicting the opensource philosophy, but on on the other hand, more and more internet services are moving into membership based solutions. Just check the end of free

Just a thought

Ben

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
I wanted to look at your code but the links seem to be broken.  Where can I find it?

I'd like to see OpenACS run on a stock AOLserver distribution in the near future.  As part of that, I'd like to see all of the latest versions of AOLserver modules in one place - the AOLserver repository.
It already has newer versions of nscache, nsxml, and nsoracle than OpenACS uses.  Several people are interested in improving the core and modules documentation and testing framework, and that's much easier to do if everything is in one place.

Oh, and thanks for releasing the code, it sounds very cool!

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Hi Jamie,

Guilty. I broke the site yesterday whilst messing about (oooooh how professional !)

If you need a copy let me know and I'll mail it over. Hopefully I'll put the site back together today some time