Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenForce's commitment to the OpenACS free software community

I tend to avoid threads that don't involve code, beer or lingerie but I'm confused here. I haven't heard of any of the rumours that Ben mentioned. I also haven't heard that OF had refused to be on the dotLRN governance board. So I suspect that a lot of this is based on private emails.

But I don't understand the vehemence here. What exactly has OF done that is so bad? They created dotLRN and suggested a governance plan that was shot down by the community. If it's true that OF is refusing to be a part of the new dotLRN governance, is that such a bad thing? Should they be forced to be a part of a governance system that they disagree with? I would love to see them take part, but I don't know the details of what's been going on behind the scenes. I certainly see no evidence that they've abandoned free software nor done anything to lose my confidence in them.

I guess I'm posting because this thread seems so incongruous with my own perspective on dotLRN and OpenACS - most likely because I don't know what the *real* issues being argued are.