Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenNSD - should we or shouldn't we?

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
While I don't have much of a problem with the name AOLserver as the people who typically have issues with it are script kiddies who have AIM accounts anyway, I can understand the impetus to start another project from a marketing perspective.

From a development project view, I've heard the AOLserver folks have been officially told not to work with the community anymore because we've wasted their time trying to convince them we can help rather than hinder their process. I would hate to fork violently so that they decide to withdraw further into closing their license (although their prior code is dual-licensed under the GPL). That's a worst case scenario, and probably unlikely.
Still, their code is getting released, and it is damn good. Would hate to risk any of that at all.

Simply in the interest of getting a better sense of why this is a good idea, can a short history of the problem be written, or at least can a direction to a previous summary be given? As well as summary of what's happened since the split and why we should follow through.

If we do split, I think that we should make it a subproject of dev.openacs.org, which is where the next gen site is right now.

talli