Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to ANN: Pure TCL OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
John, nearly all the nsv_* and ns_thread work you need to do, plus more, has already been done. Check outZoran Vasiljevic's 2.4 release of the Tcl Thread Extension:

I looked over the Tcl Thread Extension docs and release notes back in August, but did not actually review the code or try it out. Basically, it sounds a lot like AOLserver's ns_thread and nsv souped up, made more general and powerfull.

E.g.: "thread::send passes a script to another thread", which is something I currently do in AOLserver using ns_cond and an nsv to hold lists of Tcl code to eval. All the tsv:* thread shared variable stuff, like nsv_* but with additional usefull atomic commands like lreplace, lpop, lpush. It apparently does some fancy manipulation of Tcl 8 objects for the sake of efficiency, rather than only using strings. Etc.

And, the release notes say it supports use both as a tclsh and an AOLserver 3.x loadable module. Sounds fabulous!

As far as I know, no one is actually using the Tcl Thread Extension in AOLserver yet, but it would make sense to do so, and I'm told the AOL crew thinks that might be feasible and/or good somewhere down the road.

And of course, for your purposes, emulating nsv on top of the Thread Extension's new tsv:: stuff should be trivial, as tsv does everything nsv does plus more.