Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Rename OpenACS Administration to Site-Wide Admin?
Encouraged by Jun's report of a successful install, I blew away my local CVS repository completely and started fresh (using your *very* helpful guide at http://www.pinds.com/acs-tips/openacs-setup -- thanks!!) from the openacs.org:/cvsroot.
This time the OACS site comes up just fine. That is why I'm puzzled -- I see from the Commits forum that there were no relevant changes to the CVS tree between last night when I last updated my old checked-out project and the new project I checked out this morning.
Furthermore, before I blew away the old one, I confirmed that the line setting instance_name in /packages/acs-tcl/tcl/request-processor-procs.tcl was in fact there.
Given this, I can't imagine what was going on yesterday, and I apologize for wasting the bandwidth on a problem that fixed itself. There must be something that I was doing with CVS that screwed things up, though what that might be eludes me. Looks like I'm going to have to quit treating CVS as a black box and actually learn what's going on inside it.