Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Request for Comments and Discussion: Building a Leaner, Meaner OpenACS with MIST

Apologies coming to this one late, and I'll avoid raking over whats already been said, but I do have to agree with Don's comments. I went and read Bens doc, before going through this thread and was left with exactly the same impression as Don.

I'm aware that for a long time everyone has agreed we need to address this a move to a more modular approach, and its been time and resources held that back.

Having skimmed your document Ben, I generally agree with the approach (but I need to consider it in more detail).

But... your tone, and the unnecessary ramblings which *do* seem to be taking side swipes and highlighting positions that simply don't exist is not all that constructive.

Let me take just one choice example

'Our current thinking is leading OpenACS 4.x down the monolithic, un-modular 3.x path.'

This kind of comment is unfair, untrue and unhealthy... So why's it in there Ben?

I can see you may have an evangelical or political persuasion on this, but mixing it up under the premise of a proposal is a little, tiny bit underhand.

Would it not have been better to put up a *neutral* proposal for what you'd like to see, and then post separately if you want to soapbox, making it clear thats what you're doing?

And of course, checking that something is *actually the case* before you throw it at us!