Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Request for Comments and Discussion: Building a Leaner, Meaner OpenACS with MIST

Ben, I've noted that you;ve hihglighted a potential 'problem' with your scheme i.e. that we'll end up with multiple versions instances of the same packages and so on... you then go on to say this is a *good* thing?

How? How is dividing up effort useful? Aren't we going to end up answering ten times as many newbie queries along the lines of 'so which one the X number of bboards is the one I should use for....'

I am certainly very puzzled about what you actually want this community to become. Its beginning to sound to me (and I'm only going on what I have in front of me) that you want some sort of hacker club for constant experimentation and diversity. I have no objection to diversity per-se... but this 'chaos theory of software development' that seems to be the undercurrent of many of you posting is asking for disaster.

I'll use my favourite little Japanese proverb again as its telling of what seems to be emerging.

'Anyone can paint a Demon, but painting Dogs is far harder'