Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Code freeze in favor of documentation for 4.7

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi,

The package developers guide is something that is useful. I think the "Things to remember doc" that I started should have been this way. Jon's doc is broken down into user roles, my doc is broken down to file extension. The things to remember kinda lost its steam like most doc efforts. I hope people can help me with it since some items (in dark red) are items I need help. I will be interested and will contribute to the package developers guide, but not all section. In particular "when and how to use CR".

Jeff,

I think you have stepped up on this issue. Here is a link to the things 2 remember doc in case you will find some pieces useful.

http://www.infiniteinfo.com/openacs/things2remember.html

Either I continue to maintain that doc or we dump it and make a better one. If we continue to maintain my doc and make a new package developer guide it would be nice to get some help in making the 2 docs consistent. Don't want to put something on the doc that is contrary to the package developers guide.

Roberto,

I think your concern is correct. I don't think it would be easy to do it in the existing packages. Perhaps new packages that comes in must have a higher standard in terms of docs. Also maybe if we can acknowledge the developers for putting in good docs. If we can give more recognition to docs, since most developers hack in the code to get recognized. Maybe we can get people doing the docs. We can start with yourself and Vinod, most older member know that you are the doc master and Vinod. But that info is not visible enough for new developers. Why not have a section or place that is more visible to major doc contributors like you and Vinod? Maybe new developers may want that recognition and start doing docs too. I guess the docs has always been a hard nut to crack even outside of OpenACS.