Forum OpenACS Development: Importing pkg parameters from pkg_name.info
After, creating a new parameter in dev, using acs-admin pkg UI, for a custom package. Visit: apm/version-parameters?version_id=63376
It'd be great if together with the link to add new parameters, there was another link (i.e. called Import parameters).
The actions would be to read package-name.info file and automatically add in another installation (i.e. production), existent parameters, which were brought into the production source code (i.e. package-name.info) by a version controller for example.
That'd easily synchronize this piece of OACS core (i.e. parametrization).
Example of admin page that I amended to achieve that functionality:
in the page apm/version-parameters?version_id=63376
1) add a new parameter
2) bump version number
3) run upgrade from local disk
Then everything should be fine.
as Gustaf replied, this functionality is already there. We do this every time we upgrade a system. Always test this first with a UAT system!
1. add new parameter on development environment
2. in APM, click on "Write an XML package specification", which creates the .info file.
3. Edit the .info file and increase the version number
4. Copy the file over to your UAT system.
5. in APM, click on "Install Packages"
6. choose your package, and continue with the upgrade
hope the helps