Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to survey / simple-survey status for 4.6?

Collapse
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
If I understand SCORM correctly, it's a (well-established?) standard for exporting a curriculum and its meta-data to an XML file for an external LMS (Learning Managent System) to import. Thus enabling online learning websites to offer their courses to external parties.

This is very interesting functionality indeed. If it's for real, it seems that it would be worth some time and energy (and dare I suggest money) to set up the tools for such SCORM compliance, in order to facilitate interoperability between online learning websites.

I didn't get the impression that SCORM is needed for the internal operations on the OpenACS system, though. I may have misunderstood SCORM, of course; is it in fact supposed to be a total, completely integrated, solution for the LMS? If not, the direct interoperability between Curriculum and Survey is a service contract thing after all, I suppose.

I makes me wonder, though: How far is this here Curriculum package, enforced with the graded survey functionality, from being an LMS?