Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Validating form elements with the form builder

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Of course I'm just complaining about something I don't know everything about, which isn't exactly fair. I understand Jeff's point about the ugly complaints you get from ad_page_contract. However relegating this proc to a documentation role seems really to chunk good code overboard for no good reason. Maybe ad_page_contract could be given a new switch 'nocomplain' for each var. New status vars could be set for each var/filter that is run. These status vars could be made available to the tcl/adp to control output. ad_form can still be used in this case, it is just that the request processing is handled efficiently at the top of the page.

I'm not going to deal with the seeming mess that is created by having one page perform multiple functions, I guess the developer can choose to do this. Again the main problem is not in developing with this system, but with maintaining it. I get the feeling this code was written for tcl'ers so they can quickly bang out a UI for a simple data model. We (I guess I'm one of 'em) don't really like writing the adp files: they don't do anything!

Why am I complaining? Because maintainers are having trouble maintaining code using this stuff.