Forum OpenACS Development: Re: localtime_s

Collapse
9: Re: localtime_s (response to 8)
Posted by Maurizio Martignano on
Well... actually no!
The compiler inserts automatically the proper version of the function to be called. This is definition found in the actual Microsoft time.h file used in 64 bit:
_Check_return_wat_
static __inline errno_t __CRTDECL localtime_s(
_Out_ struct tm* const _Tm,
_In_ time_t const* const _Time
)
{
return _localtime64_s(_Tm, _Time);
}
So there's no need to check which of the two versions are to be used. I wrote the previous remark after having first checked the proper functioning of the system with the fix I proposed.

Anyhow it is your call.

Maurizio

Collapse
11: Re: localtime_s (response to 9)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
ok, if you say so, i will adjust this. It is anyhow strange that the API offers two different calls.
Collapse
10: Re: localtime_s (response to 9)
Posted by Maurizio Martignano on
Sorry, I will try to explain better my point.

The following is from Microsoft docs:
"localtime_s is an inline function which evaluates to _localtime64_s, and time_t is equivalent to __time64_t. If you need to force the compiler to interpret time_t as the old 32-bit time_t, you can define _USE_32BIT_TIME_T. Doing this will cause localtime_s to evaluate to _localtime32_s. This is not recommended because your application may fail after January 18, 2038, and it is not allowed on 64-bit platforms."

In other words, it doesn't matter if you compile with the 32 bit or 64 bit compiler: if you do not specify that define, time_t is equivalent to __time64_t and localtime_s to _localtime64_s; on the contrary if you specify that define, something you can do only with the 32 bit compiler, time_t is equivalent to __time_32_s and localtime_s is equivalent to _localtime32_s.

Naviserver build system, especially the file "Makefile.win32" already takes properly care of this define (_USE_32BIT_TIME_T).

So nothing needs to be done in the "reentrant.c" code.