Forum OpenACS Q&A: Plan for implementing Curriculum

Collapse
Posted by Staffan Hansson on
OK, I'm back after a week ruled by Murphy's Law (everything that could go wrong did so). Between headaches, Ola and I grabbed the opportunity to study the IMS Simple Sequencing Specifications. And we came to the conclusion that Caroline seems pretty on top of it; they are indeed valuable sources of inspiration and implementation. At the same time, reading up on some of the older openacs.org posts, we did sense that general skepticism toward simply accepting SCORM as the final solution that David had sniffed out elsewhere. We may keep in mind that there is also the way of web services to explore before trying to export curriculums, or sequences. But, generally speaking, we liked what we saw.

As has been suggested, the exact solution for implementing a full-fledged LMS lies in the (not too distant) future, and we haven't looked for it now. What we have been looking for are any already established standards of concepts and terms, and IMS certainly seems an authoritative source of such standards. We're quite happy to use the IMS Simple Sequencing Specifications as guidelines in the future development of the Curriculum package.

I've put up our preliminary plan for implementation of the Curriculum package in several phases at our site. It's also a call for any interested educational institutions to contact us and start off the actual implementation of Curriculum. We're basically ready to go.