Forum OpenACS Q&A: context_bar not working with fresh cvs checkout

Hello, i cannot figure this one out. I am trying to pass the context_bar variable to my site wide default-master page in templates (the standard page) for the events module i am working on. I even checked out all of openacs from cvs today, to make sure i hadn't messed up any of the files that may be causing this (other stats, PostgreSQL 7.2.2 on Redhat)... oh yeah, and the events package is not the only module that doesn't work, context bar isn't working for the entire site.
the events/www/index.tcl file it says this:

set context_bar [ad_context_bar]

the index.adp page passes this on to site master like this:

<master>
<property name="title">Events</property>
<property name="context_bar">@context_bar@</property>

I am almost certain this is correct, but guess i might be doing something wrong. The odd thing is that the ad_admin_context_bar works:

the events/www/admin/index.tcl creates the context bar as follows:

set context_bar [ad_admin_context_bar "Events Administration"]

the www/admin/index.adp file passes this on like this

<master>
<property name="title">Events Administration</property>
<property name="context_bar">@context_bar@</property>
Any ideas of where to look for debugging this? i searched for context_bar in the server-error.log file and didn't find anything.
Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
The short answer is that you probably want property context rather than context_bar.

The long answer is that I changed the way context was passed to the default-master when I removed the per package masters. The way they are constructed now is it first looks for property context which should be the list of lists as is passed to ad_context_bar (and which the default-master.tcl file uses to set context_bar). If that is not present and if context_bar is nil then context_bar is set to [ad_context_bar]. The default-master.adp page then displays context_bar.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
We tracked this down.  The default value for the parameter
ShowContextBarP in acs-subsite.info was 0 on the HEAD so if you
installed from a HEAD checkout you did not get context bars.  This had
been fixed on the oacs-4-6 but the fix had not been merged back to the
HEAD (it is now).  If anyone else sees this problem they should be able
to fix it by going into the site map and changing this parameter for
the main site (and any other subsites mounted).  You could also edit the
default in apm.