Forum OpenACS Q&A: Pgtcl 1.4-a2 available for testing - includes async query interface

Hey...

I've done some hacking on Pgtcl, and am looking for some people to test it before feeding it back to the PostgreSQL people.

With this version, all of the pg_* commands have been recoded at the C level to use Tcl objects.  This should improve performance in most cases, dramatically when executing complex code bodies with pg_select and pg_execute.  Several other things have been cleaned up and standardized, and support for Tcl 7 has been dropped, with the attendant code cleanup that made possible.

At the Tcl interface level, it's almost 100% compatible with Pgtcl 1.3.  Check the file KNOTES for details.

ftp://ftp.procplace.com/pub/libpgtcl/klibpgtcl-1.4a2.tar.gz

This has been tested some, but not a lot, and a test suite needs to be written (hint, hint).  Do not put it into production without testing it first.

I am looking for people to try it, and in particular, pick up and help contribute.  Check the TODO file for possible projects.

Also I have included an experimental interface to the asynchronous query processing capability provided in the C API.  This allows Tcl programs to use Postgres without blocking while waiting for results, to obtain multiple Postgres results when executing a query with multiple statements, and provides the ability to cancel requests that are currently being processed.